Whitening strips are available at grocery stores across the nation, but are they really a good idea? While evidence suggests that the strips are generally safe, they are typically not the most cost effective solution leading to whiter teeth. Additionally, they also come with their own set of risks. If you are thinking about using the whitening strips rather than visiting the dentist for a whitening session or trays with bleach gel, here are a few factors that might make you reconsider.
- The strength of the bleaching agent just does match up. Over-the-counter products use a lower strength bleach with less hydrogen peroxide than those professionals will apply.
- Whitening strips are not customized to fit your teeth. When you go in to see the dentist, they will make an impression to create a mouthpiece that is specific to your bite. Custom trays provide the most possible contact with the whitening gel, whereas strips can't possibly get into all the nooks and crannies. The one-size-fits-all solution also means that the bleach come into contact with gums, which causes irritation.
- Without dental supervision, you could be applying the strips incorrectly. Your dentist puts protective measures in place to ensure that the bleach does not slide off your teeth. Without protection for your gums and other soft parts of your mouth, you might begin to feel irritation and pain over time.
- Whitening your teeth at home with the strips is not as cost-effective as visiting the dentist. While it is cheaper to buy strips at the store, the amount of whitening and the length of time they last are significantly less.
- A dentist can perform an oral examination to determine whether or not you could face a health risk by the bleach. A few simple questions about your medical history can reveal much more than you might think. Certain types of bleach work better with different histories. If you do have problems with the bleach, your dentist can do some follow-up appointments to ensure that your teeth are not seeing any consequences.
It is always a good time to consider whitening your teeth, especially if you have an event coming up. For the most efficient results, seeing a dentist like Accent On Dentistry - Rowena R Martir DMD for a bleaching treatment or a set of custom trays is your best bet. You will rest easy knowing that the bleach is doing its job and that you are not hurting your teeth.