Are you unhappy with the way your smile looks? Are you missing teeth or have teeth that are severely decayed? If so, dental implants may provide you with the ability to once again enjoy a picture perfect smile. However, like all cosmetic dentistry procedures, dental implants may not be right for everyone. Taking the time to review the pros and cons associated with these implants can help you to determine whether or not they are right for you.
There are several benefits that come along with the decision to get dental implants. These benefits include:
- Superior Strength - Since dental implants are surgically placed in your jawbone, these implants will be able to provide superior strength when compared to other tooth replacement options, such as dentures. This superior strength will allow you to enjoy better function, such as the ability to chew hard or sticky foods.
- Natural Looking - The fact that dental implants mimic the structure of real teeth allows these implants to provide patients with a far more natural looking smile. This is especially important for individuals who are concerned about their appearance.
- Long Lasting - Dental implants are built to last. In fact, for most people, these implants will easily last a lifetime.
There are also some disadvantages that are associated with the decision to get dental implants. These disadvantages include:
- Require Healthy Gums And Bones - In order to qualify for dental implants, you will need to have relatively healthy teeth and bones. If you suffer from gum disease or a loss of bone density, your cosmetic dentist may not be able to complete the dental implant procedure.
- Time Consuming - If you are looking for a way to immediately replace your missing teeth, dental implants may not be right for you. This is because from start to finish, this process can take as long as several months or even a year to complete.
The Bottom Line
While dental implants truly do provide many patients with the ideal solution to their dental health problems, these implants will not be right for all patients. For instance, patients who suffer from gum disease or who require an immediate tooth replacement option may find that dental implants are not the right choice for them. In the end, the most effective way to determine whether or not you are a good candidate for this procedure is to contact a cosmetic dentist like Milan Simanek, D.D.S. & Associates .